Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Out with the old, in with the new...


Well, the board I mentioned below had some issues with delamination. It was like that within 15 minutes of riding, so I called the place I got it from. They said to keep riding it, and if it got worse, bring it back.

It got worse. So, I took it back. The guy tells me to keep riding it, and I said that we've already gone that route and it got worse. I explained that, sure, it may be okay, but I don't want to have a problem with it six months from now and risk being out of luck. So, he blows me off and goes to help another customer.

That evening, I got ahold of the owner/manager. His attitude was pretty much the same. I explained that his receipt said I could return for refund or exchange, and he said that didn't apply now since it was used. I reminded him that he and his staff told me to keep riding it, and he said too bad.

So much for "doing the right thing" and buying from a local shop, eh?

So, I called my credit card company and filed a dispute. Then, I bought another board elsewhere - that "elsewhere" being online. I bought it from a skate shop in Myrtle Beach that sells online - longboardskater.com.

The board is actually made by a guy in New York City - Brian Petrie of Earthwing Skates. Brian is a guy that is in it because he loves it, and it shows. The board and wheels are by him, and the quality and craftsmanship is heads and shoulders above the board I had before.

If anyone is in need of a new skateboard, look them up. You won't be disappointed.

3 comments:

  1. The main reason for buying locally, other than generating income within your community, is to be treated just the OPPOSITE of how you were treated by this local company. Good for sharing your bad experience with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gimemore
    What's the name of that first company you purchased the board from? Please post that now so we'll all know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll post all the details when the credit card dispute is closed, and I'll post it EVERYWHERE. That is, unless the guy decides to do the right thing ahead of time, in which case I'd give him a little slack.

    ReplyDelete