Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Charity Worth Giving To

I am not exactly the most giving person when it comes to charities. Why, you might ask? Well, I have seen first hand many charitable gifts go to people that just want to be able to spend their earnings on their toys, rather than their needs or their bills.



That's not to say that I don't give to any charities at all. One that comes to mind that I feel is well deserving of my hard earned cash is Make-A-Wish. But, this year, there is another one that I think deserves more than it is currently seeing.



http://www.lbeh.org/



Here's a quick snippet from their website that sums it up nicely:



"...I want to take a minute and remind everyone of the purpose behind LBEH. We are not for the war in Iraq, nor are we against it. We are not Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Green or Independent. We are not pro-Obama or pro-McCain. Our motives serve not to change world events, or your perception of them. Our mission is as simple, as it is noble. All we want to do is unite a few military families for the Christmas holiday. That's it. No hidden agendas, no political speeches. We just buy plane tickets for troops. Period."



Helping reuinite a soldier with their family for the holidays sounds like a great idea to me. And, I bet it makes some kids real happy, too, seeing their Mom or Dad in person, rather than on a web cam, come Christmas morning.



Unfortunately, due to economic times being tight, they are currently way down in donations this year. It seems pretty sad to me that a presidential candidate can raise millions upon millions of dollars, yet a worthy cause such as this one has a hard time breaking fifteen grand in the same economy.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on Make A Wish and also on LBEH. I also think you should consider Salvation Army, because unlike most non-profits, their leaders don't reap outrageous salaries, and during disasters, they are always there for everyone. Quickly. Before the Red Cross, most of the time.
    In the Northern Ohio area, another good donation would be to the "angels"... the big yellow emergency helicopters of Cleveland's Metro Hospital. In our area, they have saved many people who otherwise would not have reached trauma centers in time to be saved. They saved me in 1995, and I salute the yellow angels everytime I see (and hear and feel) their presence in the sky above me, on the way to help someone.
    RMM Northeast Ohio

    ReplyDelete